Saturday 16 February 2013

The Tales of Dunk and Egg - G.R.R. Martin

The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight are the three short stories that have currently been published. These three short stories are collected in various volume's called Warriors in where authors write short stories set in there most famous worlds. I don't care about the other authors, I just wanted the G.R.R Martin ones :P.

The tales are set 100 years BEFORE the events of Game of Thrones. If you pay more attention to things than I do in the ASoIaF world you will see the references made to people that lived and breathed in Dunk and Egg's day. Unfortunately I don't pay much attention so I guess I missed out. Not that I minded, I loved these short stories anyway. The only bad part is because it is 100 years before GoT I that Dunk and Egg die, but oh well, all things die eventually.

The short stories are ... ready ... this is pretty huge ... get ready ... they are light. They are light and fun, there is not so much doom and gloom and perpetual winter that characterises ASoIaF.  That is not to say the stories aren't interesting reads. I read them all one after the other and even tried to get out of breakfast so I could finish the last 100 pages when I woke up. The best thing about these books were the characters. You can't help but love them and it is a nice change of pace to follow a hedge knight and his squire around the place rather reading pages and pages of heavy court intrigue.

I can't recommend these short stories highly enough. They were short, great reading and I sense you will get so much more out of them if you paid more attention to things when you read ASoIaF.  There are more coming too so look out for that! Oh and they are in graphic novel format as well.

5 out of 5 - hedges with knights

No comments:

Post a Comment